St Giles’ in the 20th and 21st Centuries
In 1911 the Thistle Chapel (architect: Sir Robert Lorimer) was completed, to be used by the Knights of the Thistle, Scotland’s order of chivalry. Though small, it is in 15th century high Gothic style and full of elaborate carvings in wood and stone and of colourful heraldry.
In 1976 Gilleasbuig Macmillan, the Minister, preached a sermon initiating the major Renewal programme, after discussions with the famous architect, Bernard Feilden. In addition to essential repairs to roof, stone and glass, the interior has been lightened, the focus of worship moved from the east end to a new sanctuary in the middle of the church and a magnificent new organ installed. Space has been converted from old cellars and crypts for meeting and eating. The Renewal was triumphantly completed in 2011 when the new white marble Holy Table gifted by Roger A. Lindsay of Craighall and designed by Luke Hughes and Company was dedicated by the Very Reverend Dr Macmillan at a service attended by The Princess Royal.