Little is known of the original, 12th century church that stood on the present site, as much of the building was rebuilt following a fire in 1322. However, recognisable 12th century fragments are a scalloped capital, now built into the wall of St Eloi’s Aisle, and a corbel stone featuring a grotesque carved face, built into the wall by the door to the Cathedral shop.
Some decorations have survived from the period 1385-1560. These include heraldic carvings, sections of tombs and memorials, carvings with overt religious symbolism and carvings with less obvious subject matter. The oldest heraldic carvings in the church are located in the Albany Aisle and date from the early 15th century.