Visitor Services Assistant
St Giles’ Cathedral
Deadline: 10 July 2017 at 12:00pm
This role is to promote and facilitate a safe and enjoyable visit for all of our visitors. St Giles’ Cathedral is one of the most important and historically significant buildings in Edinburgh. We welcome 1.1 million visitors a year.
• To provide a consistent presence in and around the Cathedral and Thistle Chapel, including visual checks, security checks and dealing with incidents following the correct procedures.
• To gain a knowledge of the Cathedral and its history.
• To work alongside our volunteer team in welcoming and orientating visitors to St Giles’.
• To manage visitor flow into the cathedral during busy periods and ensure all signage is correctly positioned
• To actively promote cathedral visitor policies such as suggested donations and photo permits
• You may be asked to facilitate open access to the Thistle chapel for visitors, welcoming visitors and answering questions and queries.
• You may be asked to manage our Welcome Desk, acting as the first point of call for visitors and as a point of sale.
• To offer guided tours of the cathedral and Thistle Chapel, as required.
• To offer guided tours of our rooftop, ensuring an engaging and safe visit.
• To have exceptional standards of personal presentation
• To comply with cathedral health and safety policies and any other policies set out to ensure the safety and welfare of visitors, staff and volunteers. This will include accepting responsibility as a fire marshal in the case of emergency evacuation.
• Verbal report of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences
• Any other reasonable duties which may be directed by line management
Skills and Experience
• Evidence of having provided a high level of consistent visitor experience within a public venue, preferably an arts or heritage organisation
• An interest in Scottish history and heritage
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an understanding of the different needs of visitors
• Excellent attention to detail and sensitivity to surroundings
• Enjoy and have experience working confidently with the general public
• Excellent time keeping
• Desirable: previous experience working alongside volunteers
Start Date: ASAP
6 month Fixed Term Contract
Working Hours: Saturday 9am – 5pm and Sunday 1pm -5pm
Wage: National Living Wage £7.50
Location: Edinburgh City
For further information, please contact email@example.com (Sarah Phemister ).
The deadline is Monday 10 July 2017 at 12:00pm.